- About the Product
- Growing Tips
- Did you know?
Enrich your life by growing your own piece of traditional Irish luck!
Our Official Irish Shamrock makes a wonderful fun gift for anyone who wants to own REAL piece of Ireland. It doesn’t matter if you have the luck of the Irish by birth; our real Irish shamrock is easily grown and will be easy to care for. Bring luck to your home, office, dorm room or garden. Makes for an exceptional children’s gift!
- Can be grown indoors or out
- Contains apx 500 seeds
- Tie one on your next gift package!
Learn more about the Official Irish Shamrock
The shamrock seeds we offer are in fact The Real Irish Shamrock (Trifolium Dubium) as officially recognized by the Government of Ireland as the Official Irish Shamrock. Believe it or not, there is a variety of shamrock recognized as the Official Irish Shamrock which is very hard to source and is not your run of the mill clover. The true Irish shamrock has three small solid green leaves, NEVER four and grows a small yellow flower (after 6 to 8 weeks), not pink or white. True Irish shamrock will fold up their leaves at night or when not exposed to enough light.
Although they germinate in just a few days, it will take 3 to 4 weeks to completely fill out as shown in our image. Two leaves on each seedling will appear first and a few days later, the third. The seeds are so tiny that we coat them with lime (or “pelletize” them) so that they are easier to sow. The lime is all natural and is also beneficial because it helps to raise the PH if grown in an acidic soil. Shamrock is an annual plant and when grown indoors, will eventually die back. You are provided with apx 500 seeds which are more than enough to re-plant this bowl several times over. If transplanted outside, let it flower and go to seed and you will enjoy them from year to year!
The story of the Shamrock
The name Shamrock is derived from the Irish “seamrog” meaning “summer plant”. It is Ireland’s most famous symbol and symbolises the Cross and the Blessed Trinity. Its trefoil shaped leaves meant it was a sacred plant of the ancient Druids of Ireland and of other ancient civilisations around the world. The shamrock is forever connected to the teachings of the Three in One Trinity by St Patrick in the fifth century and his banishment of serpents from Ireland as snakes would never be seen on trefoil.
Seeds will begin to germinate in a few days. The image shown is 3 to 4 weeks of growth. Visit our Growing Instructions page for complete easy step by step instructions.
- Mist often – 3 to 4 times a day to simulate Irish rain showers
- Avoid over watering
- Place in indirect sunlight
- Keep the soil moist but NOT wet
- To help you maintain consistent moisture, try placing a small square of tissue over the un-germinated seeds. When you see that the tissue is dry, mist it until it is moist but not soaking wet. Remove when seeds sprout.
- To ensure even growth, turn plant daily (your shamrock will reach for the sun)
- Seeds may germinate quicker if you put them in the refrigerator (NOT the freezer)for 24 hours before planting
- 2 leaves will appear on each seedling first – the 3rd will appear a few days later
- To grow real Irish Shamrock, consider using Official Irish Dirt!
The Celtic Harp is the national symbol of Ireland.